The Composition Celebration is a non-competitive music festival that provides young composers with an opportunity for creativity and self-expression. Open to students from beginner through post-college adult levels, compositions of all musical styles and instrumentation are welcome!
At the district level students submit their compositions for written suggestions by an adjudicator. Each district has a different submission deadline. For information about your district Composition Celebration, contact your district chairperson or check district websites at: https://oregonmta.org/about/leadership/district-presidents/. Some districts also have a Composition Celebration recital where students perform their pieces. Adjudicators recognize students with the most outstanding compositions as Honored Composers. These students are invited to advance to the OMTA State Composition Celebration to share their works and hear the compositions of other student composers from all over Oregon. Students need to enter their District Composition Celebration and be chosen as an Honored Composer to be eligible for entry to the State Composition Celebration.
The Composition Celebration is open to any student composer studying with a teacher who is an active member in good standing with OMTA or a non-member teacher who has paid the non-member fee for the event.
There is also a national student composition competition sponsored by the Music Teachers National Association.
2021 State Composition Festival Honored Composers
Honored Composers in alphabetical order by last name:
- 17 year-old Niah Andrus, Beneath the Surface taught by Karen Huntsberger, Tualatin-Valley
- 13 year-old Amaia Arismendi, Nostalgia taught by Lucy Watts, Linn-Benton
- 15 year-old Karter Arritt, The Revenge of the Cheeze taught by Sarah Milburn, Umatilla-Morrow
- 11 year-old Nolan Barber, Tremblin’ Trees taught by Heidi Evans, Tualatin-Valley
- 16 year-old Aiden Dolan, Landscape taught by Sandra Coolen-Reitmeier, Linn-Benton
- 13 year-old Liam Early, Sam the Snake taught by Phyllis Peterson, Umatilla-Morrow
- 13 year-old Zoey Griffith, Rainwater taught by Sarah Milburn, Umatilla-Morrow
- 12 year-old James Lee, Haywire taught by Heidi Evans, Tualatin-Valley
- 13 year-old Corinna Lobscheid, Glistening Light taught by Rosanne Smith, Linn-Benton
- 9 year-old Karlee Marks, Riverbank taught by Phyllis Peterson, Umatilla-Morrow
Questions? Contact Dianne Davies.
Forms are in PDF format – readable with the free Adobe Reader.